Sign-in CON today.
- Go to: https://app.leg.wa.gov/CSI/House
- Select for Committee: Regulated Substances and Gaming
- Select for Meetings: 2/2/2023 @ 8:00a
- Select radial button for HB 1641 – Addressing public health challenges of high-potency cannabis products and HB 1642 – Regulating the sale of cannabis concentrates
- Select “I would like my position noted for the legislative record”
- Fill in form making sure to select CON
The potency limit bills have dropped and are on the schedule for a hearing first thing Thursday morning 2/2 8a. We need your help to sign in CON on these two bills. We are coordinating expert testimony to address our opposition and your sign-in will help communicate the seriousness of the impact of this legislation. Please help us be the reasonable voice in the room by adding your vote of opposition.
HB 1641 – Addressing public health challenges of high-potency cannabis products
Taxation By Potency – For patients and adult use
- 37% excise on cannabis infused products, usable cannabis, cannabis concentrates all products below 35%
- 50% excise tax on all products between 35% and 60%
- 65% excise tax on all products over 60%
- Total %THC include combined THC-A and THC amounts
- Complete and total advertising/marketing ban on all products over 35% including websites and text messaging.
- No sales of 35% or greater to anyone under 25 unless they are a patient on the registry
- Point of Sale info on harms– cannabis use disorder, hyperemesis, psychosis, where to find help and how to limit use
- LCB to provide optional training on point of sale issues
- The board must consult harm reduction, behavioral health, people who have been harmed
- Board must fine any licensee $1000 for violation of any subsection of this section
- Any product with 35% or more must have health warning in a prominent place using 10 point font, contrasting colors and must occupy at least 40% of container.
- ADAI will develop the warning label considering comprehension of people 21-24, with disabilities and historically marginalized groups
- Must label serving size at 10mg including “MULTIPLE SERVINGS” and number of servings in 10 point font in black ink with white background
- Visualization on the label indicating what a standard serving size is– Board will create content to include on package– i.e. standard serving size of 2 seconds of inhalation
- $1M to Department of Health with ADAI as a suggested recipient
- $3M to “social equity grants”
- 1st. Offense $500
- 2nd Offense 7 day suspension
- 3rd Offense in 2 years, 30 day suspension
- 4th Offense in 2 years, license cancellation
HB 1642 – Regulating the sale of cannabis concentrates
Retailers may not sell cannabis products over 35% THC unless they hold a medical endorsement and are selling DOH compliant products to patients on the registry.